We stayed at the Hong Kong Regal Airport, which was attached to the airport. Thursday morning (China time) we woke up and walked to United Airlines to check in with all of our bags. The process went pretty smoothly and we were at the gate about an hour before take off. I stopped at a gift shop and bought a few more trinkets; as if I needed anymore. From what I could see on last night's drive and this morning, Hong Kong is a beautiful city. It is nestled in some small mountains and along the China Sea. It is also sub-tropics and the plants and trees stay green year round.
It was finally time and we boarded the plane with about 350 other passengers and at least 2 other adoptive families that we recognized. One family was from Colorado Springs, CO and the other from Beckley, WV. We were the last row on the side, with three seats together...window, middle & aisle. Dan took the aisle; I got the window and Kelley was pickle in the middle. The flight was long & uncomfortable as we flew over Japan, Alaska, Canada and the Northern United States. Even though it was just a few hours time for those at home, there was a 12 hour time change and our total flight was 15 hours. We watched a few movies and she slept a few hours...sideways...on both of us...at least she was quiet. Thursday afternoon we landed in Chicago as weary travelers.
We managed the customs line and immigration in about 30 minutes and were ready for our last leg. Our flight was early, so we had some time to kill...another McDonalds meal. Kelley loves their fries and happy meal toys, but could do without the hamburger. She tried a bite, but wasn't interested in any more. We caught up a little bit on some emails, texts and phone calls. We boarded...our last flight for awhile...and took off from Chicago. As we descended into Cleveland, the clouds changed. We were flying over top of a blanket of fluffy cotton. It was very pretty, but all electronic devices had to be off, so I couldn't take any pictures. That was also about the time that Kelley started crying and wailing. She had to stay strapped in her seat for another 15-20 minutes, which seemed like forever to her. As soon as the plane pulled up to the terminal she ran to the potty and came out quiet.
Waiting for us at the baggage claim was Papa and Kimmy. It was good to see them. Kimmy missed us and asked lots of questions about Kelley, who was quiet as a mouse. We gathered our bags and jumped in the car with two kids in carseats. Kelley accepted that, but was very quiet, while Kimmy rattled on and on. Dan and I weren't sure how this was going to work out when we got home.
Everybody piled out of the car and Kelley headed straight for the bike in the garage. She climbed on and rode around and around. After about two minutes inside, the girls were hugging, laughing and running all around. Kimmy took her upstairs and showed her the toy room and bedroom. Kelley sat down and played with everything that looked interesting. Next they went to the basement and looked at the big toy room. She was amazed at what was down there. Before long the girls were playing hide & seek, running & laughing through the house. Kimmy talked in English & Kelley talked in Chinese, but they both knew how to play. Kelley petted the cat and laughed at the taxidermy fish & goose. Tomorrow she will meet the dogs and ponies. About 10:30 pm we started to wind down and went to bed.
Before we left, Kimmy decided that she didn't want to share her room with Kelley, so we weren't sure what the sleeping arrangements would be. Thursday night, she decided that it would be OK for Kelley to sleep in her bedroom. Instead, we had both girls sleep in the big bed with Daddy, while I wrapped things up downstairs and took to the couch...my backup bed (it really is comfy). I talked to Kimmy last night and she was happy that Kelley liked her and she likes Kelley, too. She was worried (like us) about how it would really go. They cuddled up together and slept until about 4:30, when Kelley woke up scared, and still on China time.
Dan and I are happy to be home. Kimmy is happy to have us home. I don't think Kelley is ready to call this home. In less than a day, she left a world where everything looked, sounded, smelled, tasted & felt Chinese. Even though the hotels & airports were not her Village, they were still connected to her culture. Now, she is in a new world, where everything and everyone is different. Kimmy & Kelley went thru the gift suitcase last night and played with some of the Chinese toys. I'm glad we took pictures & videos and brought home a bunch of memories (even the extras I bought at the airport) that will help her remember her past. One day, when they are both older, we will go back to China for a vacation. In the meantime, we will do our best to give her a happy & loving home, incorporating Chinese customs and foods as much as we can. Saturday evening we will be joining our friends with other adopted Chinese children to celebrate the fall moon festival. I wasn't sure if we were going to venture out this soon, but I think Kelley will like to see other Chinese kids. She will enjoy letting loose some lanterns and seeing a little of her culture thru our eyes. I'm sure if we could speak Manderin she would tell us all about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment