Today was another dry, beautiful day in Guangzhou. It was a little cooler than yesterday at 86 degrees, but still hot! We skyped with Kimmy and then had a little breakfast with the same group of southern adoptive families from the Lifeline Agency. We met another family today from Atlanta that is on their third Chinese adoption. Dan laughed when he heard a previously adopted Chinese girl say "ya'll coming?"
Next, we headed off to the zoo with Kelley Tao and a camera. The zoo is located in the middle of the city. It is surprising that there is that much undeveloped land. Lucia said that the city grew around the zoo, which was there first. Now, many big business would love to have the space. It is similar to our zoo with lions, tigers, bears, elephants & hippos. The monkey house was being renovated, so we didn't see any. There was a beautiful pond filled with swans and another filled with pelicans. Kelley dragged us away from the lions to see the birds. She was quite happy watching them or maybe she just liked being by the pond.
We were lucky enough to watch a zoo keeper training the red pandas. They came down from the trees and had to climb on a stand for a piece of food when the keeper whistled. They like to stay up in the trees where they cannot be seen. They are soo cute! The zoo also has a panda house. The pandas leave for the summer because of the extreme heat and return in the fall. They were just brought back within the past month and are still in the glass house getting used to things. In another month or so they will be allowed out in the natural exhibit. Next we saw the giraffes. For a few yuan we could buy green branches and leaves to feed the giraffes. Their tongues are super long! Dan & Kelley fed them while I took pictures. She liked the animals and wasn't afraid. Next were the zebras. She ran to them and yelled their name. I think they were her favorite; she's my girl! We told her that there are ponies (almost zebras) waiting for her at home.
After the zoo, we went to the Government store, which used to be a Government porcelain & ceramic factory. They did not make enough money selling high end porcelain and pottery so they added souvenirs. I don't think it really has anything to do with the Government, but that it what Lucia called the store. We bought matching outfits for Kimmy & Kelley and other gifts for the girls. It's a good thing that I brought an extra suitcase! There was some beautiful porcelain that I would have loved to bring home. I'm scared to spend that much money and bring something so breakable home. Between me, the cats and the kids, I'm sure it will get broke (assuming it survives the flight). Dan was afraid that Kelley broke his nose today when she wacked him with her knee as he was picking her up. He is fine, but that's my point.
I do miss the little shops on the island around the Victory hotel where you could barter for nick-nacks. I also miss the outdoor playgrounds close by. The nearest park to our hotel is a 20 minute walk. We decided to stick with the hotel courtyard, playroom and walking up and down the streets. We discussed the rest of the week's plans with Lucia and everything still depends on the TB test results. She dropped us off at the hotel and called about an hour later with results...negative! That means we will go to the US Consulate tomorrow morning for our appointment. Lucky for us, Kimmy was adopted before the test was mandatory.
I went for a little afternoon walk up and down the local streets. There must have been a school close by. It looked like a lot of kids were released around 4:00 and walking home with Grandmas and Grandpas. Lucia told us that most parents work and the Grandparents raise the child(ren). Mothers can stay home for 3-6 months with a newborn and then they return to work. Parents don't normally trust day care and the kids stay home till they are 3-4 years old. Many times the parents and grandparents will argue because the grandparents spoil the child. The 1 child policy is starting to loosen. If the parents come from a 2 child family than they are only allowed 1. If the parents come from a 1 child family than they are allowed 2 children.
I also saw many banks, clothing stores, nail salons, local restaurants & bars and traffic police. I scoped out a few new possibilities for dinner tonight and wrapped it up at 7-11 where I bought some snacks for Kelley and cucumber flavored potato chips for Kimmy at home (which Kelley grabbed right away). When I came back to the hotel room Kelley and Dan were working on her English. My Little Ponies was on tv and she said ponies, horsies and can I ride pony, repeating after him. She can rattle off a lot of Chinese and we would like her to remember Chinese while she is learning English. I'm not sure how that is going to work.
After reviewing the choices for dinner, we settled on Pizza Hut again. Kelley still wasn't interested in pizza, but she ate half a plate of chicken & pork fried rice. We planned for an early bedtime, since we have to be up early to make the 8:30 am Consulate appointment. We even decided another bath would be in order. As soon as Dan turned the water on, the tears started. After such a good day, we thought she can just get cleaned up with a wash cloth and keep the peace. Kelley is a happy girl with quiet moments and plenty of laughter. I am sure she still misses her Grandma, but I don't think she blames us. I've seen her hand in her mouth throughout the day, which is a sign of stress and needing comfort. At least the cough has disappeared.
Tomorrow morning we have an appointment with the US Consulate where we take an oath to care for her and never abandon her. Afterwards we are on our own, while Lucia waits for the VISA to be issued. In the evening she has scheduled us for a Pearl River Cruise, including buffet dinner. It will be our last full day in Guangzhou. The trip is winding down quickly...getting closer to the big plane ride home.
No comments:
Post a Comment