Monday, November 11, 2013

All is well

All is well; we are just getting busier and busier!  Kelley is settling in and we are doing more and more things with her.  She is truly part of the family...like she has been here all of her life.  She takes everything in stride and nothing seems to frustrate her.  We are being careful not to overwhelm her though.

Last week was Kelley's first doctor's appointment for a complete exam.  We were at UH for three hours on Monday meeting with the adoption specialists and having lab work done.  The nurse and doctor examined her and watched her behavior.  They were very pleased with her attachment and the way her hand looks and works.  The lab drew blood to check her vaccinations, vitamins and other levels.  She laughed when they poked her with the needle!  The doctor encouraged us to work on her language and bonding with the family for the next three months and then come back.  We will have a complete report in a few weeks when all of the tests come back. 

Kelley also had a preschool screening with the County last week.  She was monitored by specialists for 45 minutes.  The county will wait for the UH report and then make their decision.  I think she needs a "disability" to qualify thru the county.  I believe her hand and speech should let her in...we'll see.  She is learning more and more English words every day, but her speech is still a little unclear.  Her laughter is very clear and very heartwarming.  We hear it all of the time.  We also hear screams as she runs thru the house playing with Kimmy or trying to scare Daddy.




Last week, Kelley and I went shopping.  I gave her some choices and she said yes or no if she wanted to try them.  We even picked out some matching outfits for her and Kimmy, based on Kelley's choice.  She learned "no-no" and "come on" while we were shopping and now she uses them on me.  Her nickname on Monday was Huangtao no-no and she called me "come on, come on". 


Saturday was a beautiful day and we headed down to my Aunt & Uncle's house outside of Mt Vernon.  The kids got to see baby goats that were about a month old, tractors and farm equipment and got to ride in a barrel train.  They also had fun shelling corn and letting go a Chinese lantern...only one because it was too windy.  Kelley took about 100 pictures with my phone; I only kept 5.  Most were pictures of feet or people and animals with missing heads.  She had fun and thought she was special.  Kimmy got the camera and also took about 100 pictures; I kept at least half of hers.  The girls played well with their cousins:  Mikayla, Emma, Samantha & Rachel.  Later, Kimmy told me how happy she was to have Kelley as her sister.  I think Kelley feels the same way about Kimmy.





Sunday was cold and windy and nothing was on the calendar.  Kimmy spent the night on Saturday with Grandma & Papa and decided to go back Sunday afternoon to ride her pony.  I thought that might be a good time to introduce Kelley to the ponies again.  She has gotten very comfortable with Kimmy and will do anything that she does.  I saddled up Smoki and Kimmy went for a short ride.  I asked her to jump off and give Kelley a quick turn and then  Kimmy could ride some more when she went in the house.  Kimmy cooperated and Kelley did not.  Smoki took 2 steps and Kelley shook her head yes, that she wanted to go more.  We walked around the ring a few times with Papa holding her leg and then I told her it was time to get off.  Kelley refused to let go of the reins and the saddle horn.  I had to pry her hands off and pluck her out of the saddle.  She cried.  She bit me.  She threw her helmet at me.  She threw her mittens on the ground and stomped on them.  That was the first sign of bad behavior that I have seen from her in a month.  I was too stunned to do or say anything.  Secretly I was laughing.  Papa saddled up Sofie and led her around awhile and it was all better.  Kimmy got back on Smoki and the two girls rode together.  I'm in trouble now.



Sunday night ended with both girls in the bath tub, laughing & splashing and getting their hair washed without any issues.  Then off to bed they went.   

No comments:

Post a Comment